Having grown up in a Polish household, the miodownik has always been a staple at christmas time (and at other times throughout the year!) which has always been a family favourite. While trying tailor the recipe over a number of years for a gluten-free diet we finally managed to get it right!
This cake is traditionally made in advance of christmas and allowed to ‘mature’ so don’t worry if you can’t eat it in one go, it’ll taste even better after a day or two!
|380g plain flour|
|1 tablespoon of baking soda|
|2 tablespoons of ground almonds|
|180g caster sugar|
|170ml of sour cream|
|3g of cinnamon (optional)|
|5 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|If gluten-free- 1/3 teaspoon of xanthan gum|
|Plum jam (traditional option) and crushed walnuts|
Makes – 22cm cake
Preparation time – 10 minutes Baking time – 50 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºc/160ºc fan/325ºf/gas mark 3.
2. Whisk the eggs and the sugar on a high speed until light and fluffy.
2. Add the honey and mix until combined.
3. Add the sour cream, sieved flour, baking soda, vegetable oil, ground almonds, cinnamon (optional) and xanthan gum (if gluten-free). Mix on a low speed until well combined.
4. Pour into a lined baking tin. Bake for 50 minutes.
5. Take out the oven and leave to cool. Top with either royal icing or plum jam and crushed walnuts.