We managed to recreate the ever so delicious Tårta chokladkrokant form Ikea (torte with Daim pieces on top), and whats great about this cake is that theres no flour so it’s gluten-free!
|For the layers:|
|4 egg whites|
|120g caster sugar|
|For the filling:|
|4 egg yolks|
|80g caster sugar|
|100ml double cream|
|A few drops of vanilla extract|
|~120ml double cream|
|~2 tablespoons of icing sugar|
|~50ml double cream|
|A few almonds to decorate|
|2 baking trays|
Makes – 1 ~22cm torte Serves – 8-10
Preparation time – ~20 minutes Baking time – 25 minutes
1. In a blender, blitz your almonds to your desired consistency. If you want a really fine torte you can buy them pre-ground. (For reference this was the size of our almonds after blitzing to compare to the final product.)
2. Whisk the egg whites until they start to become stiff. A third at a time, add in the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks form and you can turn the bowl upside down.
3. Fold in the almonds, a third of a time, till mixed.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºc/360ºf/gas mark 6.
5. Spread equal quantities of mixture into two ~22cm cake tins. If you don’t have two cake tins, draw a circle out on baking paper and using a baking tray.
6. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, swap the two trays around (i.e. if one is above another), and bake for another 12 minutes till golden brown.
7. While the tortes cool down, in a saucepan whisk the egg yolks, cream and sugar on a low-medium heat till it starts to thicken up (take care to not curdle it). After whisking for a few minutes place the pan in a water bath filled with cold water.
8. In the mixer beat the butter till it becomes fluffy.
9. Once the cream mixture has cooled, pour into the butter, add the vanilla extract and whisk until stiff peaks form.
10. Spread half the mixture on the first torte, place the second torte on top, and spread the last half of the mixture on the top torte. Place in the fridge for a few minutes.
11. For the whipped cream whisk together the double cream and icing sugar till stiff peaks form. Place on top of the torte and place back in the fridge.
12. In a bowl, heat up the double cream in the microwave and add in the chocolate. Mix till smooth in consistency. Leave till cool to the touch, and pour over the torte. Place back in the fridge. (Preferably leave it overnight as the almond part will become softer thanks to the cream filling.)